I had planned to make this on Christmas day with our big meal but with it being so big we didn't have any room left! So today after we had some more of the leftovers I made it. Usually the meringue is cooked with the ice cream inside however, rob loves crunchy meringue, and so do I, so I had to be a little creative with this one.
6" wide flan sponge base/victoria sponge
500ml of ice cream of your choice (we chose a local favourite, Pooh Bear from Mauds)
3 egg whites
¾ cup of caster sugar
1. Whisk the eggs whites, either with an electronic or balloon whisk until white and stiff.
2. Continue to whisk and add the sugar pinch by pinch. The mixture should become thicker and firmer.
(Rob enjoyed tasting the mix)
3. Preheat oven to 160˚C.
4. Place a small (about 4" in diameter) oven proof bowl on a baking tray and spread the meringue mix over the bowl to cover it. There is no need to smooth the surface, the more peaks the better!
5. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and gently remove the bowl from inside the meringue. Either place this bowl in the fridge to cool or get another bowl of the same shape and size: (when the bowl is cool) fill with your ice cream.
7. Place the flan on a plate and then tip the moulded ice cream on top. Cover with the meringue and serve.