I decided that pizza was the way to go for tonight's dinner, however I usually buy pizza bases from the supermarket and throw on my toppings. I decided to have a go at making my own pizza dough and learning something new.
This recipe turned out fantastically. It turned out light and soft and really tasty.
Makes 2 12" bases or 1 16" base
3/4 tbsp yeast
1.5 cups warm water
1.5 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
2 cups plain flour
3 cups wholewheat flour
You can use all plain flour or all wholewheat, I went for a mix)|
1. Put the warm water in a large bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Leave it to set until it begins to foam (about 5 minutes).
2. Stir in the salt, oil and the 2 cups of plain flour. Then gradually mix in the 3 cups of wholewheat flour. (I used an electric mixer for this part to help make it easier and quicker). Make sure it is all mixed well.
3. Knead for 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and let rise for 30 mins. Punch it down again and allow to rise for a further half hour.
4. Punch down the dough once more and divide for 2 12" pizzas or keep together for 1 16" pizza. Pat out on two pizza pans.
5. Add your choice of toppings. Bake at 190˚C for 20-25 minutes.