Wednesday 5 March 2008

Salmon

I've mentioned before about how I'm trying to get more fish into my diet, well I bought 2 salmon fillet portions in anticipation of trying something new. I was slightly nervous about this because I've tried salmon from friends' and families' dishes when we've been out for meals and never really liked it, but thought I'd give it one more go.... well 2 goes really because I made 2 recipes with the salmon. I didn't like it, but I'd imagine the recipes are tasty for people who do like salmon so thought I'd post them anyways.

The first recipe I got from a friend, the second is from one of my cook books (Delicious Healthy Eating, Anne Sheasby)

Soy honey salmon

1 portion

Ingredients

1 salmon fillet
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp soy sauce

Recipe
1. Mix the honey and soy sauce.
2. Brush over the salmon fillet.
3. Place on a baking tray and bake at 190˚C for 15-20 minutes




Salmon risotto

1 portion

Ingredients

1 tbsp butter
2 spring onions, chopped (white part only)
1/4 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
100g arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
350ml chicken stock
125g salmon fillet, broken into about 5 or 6 pieces

Recipe
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the spring onion and cucumber and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the rice and stir until it is covered with the oil.
3. Add the wine and stir.
4. When the wine is absorbed by the rice, add half a cup of the stock and allow to absorb. Continue doing this until all the liquid is used.
5. Stir in the salmon with the last half cup and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
6. Serve topped with a pinch or parsley.

15 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried a salmon kegeree? I have a recipe for it on my blog (adapted from Nigella's). That seems to be my favourite way of cooking it. We pan fried salmon this week and we weren't happy with it at all either but it always comes delish in a kedgeree...(maybe that will possibly change your mind?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like salmon, but I have to be in the mood for it. I really like to smoke it and top it with a dill cream sauce sometimes adding baby shrimp to the sauce.

    Maybe you should try steelhead trout? It is in the salmon family, high in omega 3, yet it has a different flavor. The flesh is pretty much the same and can be substituted in most salmon recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...the idea of soy honey salmon is making my mouth water. looks great and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pixie, no I haven't. I'll be bookmarking that to try sometime.

    Hey mrorph, thanks for stopping by! Thanks for your advice, I'll have to try trout sometime.

    Hey Katie, it sounded tasty to me! My friend would have it that way quite often so I'm sure it is tasty if you like salmon. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter is the huge salmon fan around here. She could eat an entire salmon herslef. I do enjoy it as well but usually wrapped in filo or stuffed with scallops. Thanks also for your good wishes on the Joust:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, Ruth looks good. The Salom Risotto looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth I love salmon and both dishes look good to me ;o)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy salmon Ruth and soy honey salmon mmmmm sounds mouth watering to me! :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bellini Valli. Thanks for visiting my blog. I might have to try the filo idea!

    Hi Priscilla, Thank you! The risotto was lovely, just didn't like the salmon part much personally

    Hi Maria! Thank you, maybe you'll give them a go and let me know what you think as someone who does like salmon?

    Hey Rosie, I really liked the soy honey edge of the fish, just not the rest unfortunately :o(. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth just wanted to let you know that I have now posted the recipe within the post for the soft baked chocolate chunk cookies on my blog for you and anyone else interested in making these ;o)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister doesn't like salmon, either, but it is one of my favorite fishes. At least you are branching out and trying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Maria! Thank you! You're a star. I'll bookmark it for trying once we've eaten our way through this batch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Deborah! It is good to try things... very often I find things I decided I didn't like as a child I now like as an adult!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!