A few days ago I decided that I really needed to bake something and I had some pineapple that needed used up after making the pizza so decided to make a favourite: Pineapple upside down cake.
I'm dedicating this to Dell from Cooking and the City seeing as she celebrated her birthday the day it was made! Hope you had a great day!
Pineapple upside down cake
Recipe sourced from "The Classic 1000 Beginner's Recipes" cook book
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 tbsp light brown sugar
8oz can of pineapple slices
4 or 5 glace cherries, halved
1/2 cup/100g caster sugar
1 cup/100g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 190˚C
2. Grease the sides and base of an 8" flan dish with 1tsbp of the butter/margarine spreading it thickly on the base.
3. Sprinkle with the brown sugar, then add 1 tbsp of the juice from the tin of pineapple.
4. Lay the pineapple rings in the base, then place the cherries cut sides up in the centres of the rings and in other gaps made by the rings.
5. Put the remaining butter/margarine, in a large bowl with the caster sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs and beat until smooth with a wooden spoon or electric beater. Then spread the mix over the pineapple.
6. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the mixture is risen and golden and a skewer comes out clean when withdrawn from the cake. Cool slightly, loosen the edge and turn out onto a serving dish.
Happy Birthday Dell!