This month for the Monthly mingle (being hosted by Abby at Eat the Right Stuff) the challenge is Spring Fruit Sensations, meaning the dish has to include some fruit that is in season in your area. This really limited me to rhubarb, which is ok because I LOVE rhubarb. I had ideas of what I wanted to do with this but decided to make something that I usually cheat with and buy frozen from the supermarket! Rhubarb strudel! I decided to add a little nutmeg and vanilla to this as well for an extra bit of flavour.
I had a problem though in my recipe: I assembled the strudel on my workbench then transferred it to the baking tray and it split underneath a little when I did. So big tip: assemble the strudel on your baking tray!!!!
500g rhubarb, washed and diced into 2cm lengths
3 tbsp sugar
1 vanilla pod, split and the vanilla scraped out
1 tsp ground nutmeg
500g store bought puff pastry
1. Roll out your pastry into a rectangle where the length is double the width, as flat as you can.
2. Heat a pan on a medium heat.
3. Add the rhubarb, sugar, nutmeg and vanilla. Stir well to mix and heat for 2 minutes.
4. Transfer your pastry to a baking tray, then spread your rhubarb mix along one half of the pastry (lengthwise).
5. Fold over the pastry and seal the edges. Cut some slices along the pastry.
6. Transfer to a preheated oven (180˚C) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Then slice and serve. I like it with ice cream or sorbet but it's also good with custard too.