Saturday 20 December 2008

Lemon Cake with Passionfruit Syrup

I made this cake a while ago and forgot to blog about it until someone asked me could I give them the recipe because they wanted to make it for Christmas day instead of Christmas Cake or Christmas Pudding. A good idea I thought because it would complement the Christmas dinner well and be a nice and tasty treat for finishing off the meal.

From what I remember it was a beautifully moist and soft cake, the lemon and passionfruit working well together.



Lemon Cake with Passionfruit Syrup
Recipe from Donna Hay's Simply Essentials: Fruit

Ingredients

125g softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
2.5 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

passionfruit syrup
2/3 cup passionfruit pulp (about 4 passionfruit)
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup water

Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease and line a 9" cake tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together.
3. Add the eggs and beat.
4. Mix in the sour cream, lemon juice, rind, flour and baking powder. Pour into the cake tin.
5. Bake for 40 mins or until cooked
6. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, before removing to a rack over a plate.
7. To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
8. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until all the sugar is dissolved.
9. Increase the heat and boil for 4-5 minutes or until it thickens a little.
10. Pour half the syrup over the top of the cake and save the rest for serving with the cake.

9 comments:

  1. Those passion fruit seeds are like jewels...good lookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job! I love recipes using non traditional ingredients such as passion fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely. I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious. Love passionfruit seeds

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...u got me thinking..i can do something like this with dragon fruit (exotic chinese fruit that tastes almost like passion fruit)..
    yeah but will do tht once i m done with my cold...its terrible...right now i am writing with one hand while the other holds my tissue covering my nose...;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely! I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just picked up some lemon cake at the market!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this cake, it turned out like bollocks! Far too dense

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!