I made this cake a while ago and forgot to blog about it until someone asked me could I give them the recipe because they wanted to make it for Christmas day instead of Christmas Cake or Christmas Pudding. A good idea I thought because it would complement the Christmas dinner well and be a nice and tasty treat for finishing off the meal.
From what I remember it was a beautifully moist and soft cake, the lemon and passionfruit working well together.
Lemon Cake with Passionfruit Syrup
Recipe from Donna Hay's Simply Essentials: Fruit
125g softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
2.5 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup passionfruit pulp (about 4 passionfruit)
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease and line a 9" cake tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together.
3. Add the eggs and beat.
4. Mix in the sour cream, lemon juice, rind, flour and baking powder. Pour into the cake tin.
5. Bake for 40 mins or until cooked
6. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, before removing to a rack over a plate.
7. To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
8. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until all the sugar is dissolved.
9. Increase the heat and boil for 4-5 minutes or until it thickens a little.
10. Pour half the syrup over the top of the cake and save the rest for serving with the cake.