As part of my pledge to make at least 3 of the recipes I bookmark in magazines each month I have now made my third recipe, again from Easy Food Magazine.
This month's magazine featured the winners of Easy Food's Country Market Awards with a great recipe for Birthday Cake by Dunfanaghy Market. I couldn't help but try out this birthday cake and last week was Stewie, my wee pup's, birthday so I had a birthday to celebrate anyways!
I'm glad I made this a real easy cake and beautifully delicious. I'm sure though it would be more delicious with the butter icing but I had to leave it out seeing as hubby and doggy aren't keen on it.
Birthday Cake from Dunfanaghy Market
175g butter or margarine
175g caster sugar
250g self raising flour
little milk (optional)
75g butter or margarine
225 g icing sugar, sieved
2 tbsp milk
food colouring (optional)
sweets/hundreds and thousands to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C and grease two 17cm cake tins
2. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
3. Mix in eggs one at a time, then fold in the flour. If the mixture seems dry add a little milk.
4. Bake for 25 minutes until form to touch and golden.
5. To prepare the icing, beat all the ingredients together until fluffy and light.
6. Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack, then ice and decorate.
PS Don't forget to check out bookmarked recipes on the new blog.