Friday 27 March 2009

Buttermilk Chicken

I'm absolutely loving the Nigella Express book I got in the January sales. I'm pretty sure I've made loads more out of it than any other cook book I have.

I found some chicken drumsticks in the freezer and immediately thought of this recipe and I'm glad I did, because it was beautifully juicy and tender and full of flavour. Thank you again Nigella!!!

Buttermilk Chicken
Source: Nigella Express, Nigella Lawson, p274

Ingredients

12 chicken drumsticks
500ml buttermik
60ml vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, skinned and bruised
1 tbsp crushed peppercorns
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Recipe
1. Mix together the buttermilk, 60ml oil, garlic, pepper, salt, cumin and maple syrup.
2. Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour in the mixture. Squish everything around to marinade
3. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes but if possible overnight
4. Preheat oven to 220˚C. Place chicken pieces in a roasting tine lined with foil, shaking off the excess marinade
5. Drizzle the 2 tbsp oil over the chicken and roast for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Wow looks yumm, i wanted to pick one piece from the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ruth

    I did these with milk and a squeeze of lemon instead of the buttermilk and they came out lovely. Thanks!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some flavourful chicken there! Thanks for letting me host this week's Roundup. I'm just about done and will be posting it shortly.

    Psychgrad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Happy Cook!

    Hi Tessa - thanks for your comment, glad you're liking the blog. I'm on my way to check yours out now

    Hey Dell, I'll be sure to check out those recipes too then

    Hi EM, I'll have to give that a go and save buying buttermilk especially

    Thanks Psychgrad for hosting! You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!