Wednesday 8 April 2009

Basic White Rustic Loaf

I love it in restaurants when they give you a basket of different breads along with some butter and oil for nibbling before your meal so I decided to make some bread when my family came for dinner one night.

This was a great simple recipe I found on channel 4 from delicious magazine.

I split the dough into 3 and made a loaf with sundried tomatoes in the middle, a loaf with black olives in the middle and a plain one. The baking time was half what the recipe below states because of this split.



Basic White Rustic Loaf
Source: channel 4 from delicious magazine.
Makes about a 750g loaf/12 slices

Ingredients

500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp fine salt
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
300 ml warm water
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing

Recipe
1. Mix together the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. Create a well in the centre and slowly mix in the water and the oil until the dough comes together – if the dough is very dry, add a little more water.
2. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, until smooth, on a lightly floured surface.
3. Shape like a rugby ball and put onto an oiled, large baking sheet. Leave to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 220°C. Make slashes with a sharp knife in the top of the dough and dust with flour. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen, golden and cooked. Cool on a wire rack and slice to serve.

8 comments:

  1. hmm,yummy , spongy bread!!!Looks nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to bake some bread - you've inspired me and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you Ruth re: basket of different breads in restaurants – slurp. Delicious magazine online, have some beautiful recipes - I always find something that catches my eye.

    Your bread looks so light and moist I can almost smell the freshness from here - would love a slice with a little butter - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joelen - and it's such an easy recipe!

    Hey Rosie, I'm fighting myself to stop looking at delicious. magazine online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff Ruth! Nothing compares to good warm homemade bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom keeps talking about wanting to learn to make bread - this looks like a nice easy recipe to start her out with.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!