Saturday 2 January 2010

5 minute microwave chocolate cake

Ever need a quick chocolate cake fix? Then this is it!

I had heard about this little beauty years ago but it slipped my mind until a colleague in the world of youth and children's work reminded me about it because she had used it as part of a children's talk and in planning our Christmas family service I remembered it again. After all that it just seemed right to make it and I did a couple of times in practice and also as a practice for my own cookery show by making it during the church service! Nigella better watch out!



5 minute microwave chocolate cake

Serves 3-4, but I made it stretch to about 20 -30 that Sunday with all the kids wanting a little piece.

Ingredients

1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
a splash of vanilla extract

Recipe
1. Mix together dry ingredients
2. Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
4. Pour the mixture into a 10cm diameter cake tin and cook for 4 minutes at 1000 watts
5. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired and decorate with icing, or for an even quicker option chocolate spread!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow 5 minutes - my kind of cake, especially at the moment with two small kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao ! I made it and my husband says it's the best chocolate cake !!!! What could be better super fast and good ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your kids would have fun making AND eating this one Beth

    Glad you enjoyed Natalia! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi do you really need to use oil? im trying to figure out if i can make a slightly healthier version thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sammosmith the oil is used here instead of the butter you would normally use in cake batter. You could tr butter but it's probably just as 'healthy' as the oil

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!