I've only recently tried risotto and fell in love instantly, so tonight i had a go at making it seeing as Rob and I aren't eating together and it turned out fantastic.
Mushroom and Garden Pea Risotto
Makes 1 large portion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
5/6 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
4oz arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
350ml hot vegetable stock
Small tin of peas (about 90g drained weight)
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 oz butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy based saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 2-3 minutes, until browned.
3. Stir in the rice and coat in the oil. Pour in the wine and simmer, stirring, until the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Add a ladleful of the stock and simmer, stirring again, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock in this way, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is plump and tender. Add the drained peas with the last ladle of stock.
5. Stir in the parsley, butter and salt and pepper. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.