Thursday 21 February 2008

Chicken Tempura

I had bought a jar of plum sauce at the oriental supermarket a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to work out what i wanted to do with it. I decided to make a little chicken tempura and use it as a dipping sauce. I love the tempura and doing it got me over my fear of deep fat frying, unfortunately the sauce was extremely sweet but also very vinegary so I ended up getting my sweet chilli dipping sauce out. As well as that this didn't pass the husband test so this will be a dish for when I'm on my own sometime.

Again I researched a few recipes for the tempura batter, most of which were exactly the same, and also researched a few recipes for cooking chicken tempura specifically. I ended up doing the following:

Chicken Tempura

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts, diced
Salt pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of COLD water
1 cup flour
Oil

Recipe
1. Boil the chicken pieces for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil (about 1.5-2" in depth) in a wok or deep pan.
3. Mix the beaten egg and cold water together. Stir in the flour gently, removing any lumps.
4. Dip each piece of chicken in the batter and cook in the oil for 4-5 minutes until crispy.

8 comments:

  1. my favorite is shrimp tempura! you should try that... oh, and instead of a plum sauce or sweet chili sauce (which i love!), try a soy based sauce like they serve at japanese restaurants...

    try something like this:
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    pepper to taste

    or

    1/4 c. ketchup
    1/3 c. soy sauce
    1/4 c. worchester sauce
    1 tbsp hoisin sauce
    garlic powder and pepper to taste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey jaime, I'm not too fond of shrimp but I may just try it sometime. those sauces sound fab i'll be sure to give it a goo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tempura.
    Your looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth I am drooling here after viewing your delicious chicken tempura! Oh yum with sweet chilli dipping sauce just perfect!! :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious - too bad the plum sauce wasn't the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Happy cook! Thanks for stopping by my blog, loving yours too!

    Hey Rosie, thank you, I love sweet chilli: i used to have sweet chilli with everything, but have learnt that to have it occasionally is much better and makes it more enjoyable.

    Hey Deborah, thank you. Well we live and learn, i'll just stick with the chicken in plum sauce from the take away from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds and looks wonderful Ruthe I love the pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!