Wednesday 16 April 2008

RFJ 3: Spiced chicken burgers with mango relish

The ingredients for this month's Royal Foodie Joust made me smile because I've never cooked with mango, but thought that mango, brown sugar and cardamom sounded like a great combination of ingredients. I had several thoughts for this but as soon as I remembered about a recipe for spiced chicken burgers I read in Anjum Anand's "Indian Food Made Easy" and decided to adapt it a bit and make a mango relish to go with it.

I'm also submitting the mango relish to a new and very exciting event: Putting up where the idea is to make a jam, conserve, jelly, marmalade, curds, butter, chutney, pickle, relish or preserve. I've never made anything like this before so it was fun trying something new.





On top of already using this entry for 2 blog events, I'm going OTT and entering into a third blog event: LiveSTRONG with a taste of yellow - 2008.



This was a great dish and I can't wait to make it again.







Spiced chicken burgers

Makes 4 burgers

Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
2cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 a small onion, finely chopped
handful or coriander leaves (cilantro), finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1 red chilli, deseeded
3 cardamom pods, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
2 slices of bread, grated into crumbs
1 egg
Oil

Recipe
1. Mince the chicken breast in the food processor. Add the ginger, garlic cloves, onion, coriander leaves, salt, cardamom, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala and caraway seeds.
2. Add the mix to a bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs and egg. Mould the mince mixture into 4 burgers.
3. Heat oil in a pan and cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.


Mango relish

Ingredients

1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced into small pieces
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 red bell pepper, diced into small pieces
2 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
Handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp crushed cardamom pods
1 tsp light brown sugar
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp honey

Recipe
Mix everything together and stir to mix well. Serve immediately or store in the fridge.

20 comments:

  1. Wow Ruth!

    This is a very formidable dish for sure.

    Looks really tasty. I like the contrasting flavors of the spice and mango.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mr Orph! Get your internet sorted? I loved the mix of mango and spice, delish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste of Yellow. I love mango and am alwasy looking for new ways to use it. Lovley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your entry Ruth. I'd love to try your mango relish one day. Great entry for all events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dell! Thank you!

    Hi Barbara, I'll be looking for new ways to use mango too!

    Thanks Pixie, feel like I'm cheating using one dish for 3 events, but time's a little tight this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look s amazingly good. What a great idea for mango relish! We'll have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burgers with chicken, i love them.
    Looks so delicious andlove the relish too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Katie, hope you like it as much as I do when you try it!

    Hey Happy Cook, chicken burgers are very tasty.

    Hey Ben! Mango and chicken go soooo well together, I'm not surprised they are some of your favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really, really good! I'll have to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anne, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum. I love that Anjum Anand book - I use it all the time - her naan breads are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! The mango relish is something I would definitely use all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The mango relish sounds like the perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey English Mum. I love the book too though sometimes it takes a little while finding some of the spices (e.g black cardamom, mace pieces etc). I tried the naan but it didn't work well for me, I should give it another go sometime.

    Hey Kate... it's definitely the sort of thing you could use in all sorts of dishes. (PS love your new profile pic)

    Hey Deborah, it was great with this, a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely done! As a vegetarian I'll skip the chicken part would will happily eat up all the mango relish :)

    Glad you had such success cooking your first mango!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Lisarene... I'm looking forward to using mango again now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Ruth, thanks so much for a great entry!! I must try this one out!

    What a great looking dish :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Rosie!!! Let me know when you try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great Ruth! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Jenn!!! Welcome back to the blogosphere! Thanks for your sweet comments

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!