Friday 2 May 2008

Drysdale Swede Test

I mentioned in my review of Enjoy the Taste of Scotland that RK Drysdale (a supplier of brussel sprouts and swedes) were looking for people to test a prototype product for them and sent me home with one. It was a peeled swede in a sealed plastic bag where there were 2 "recipes" they asked you to pick from then report back what you thought. The choices were:

1. Microwave in the sealed bag for 8 minutes (at 800W), then mash adding butter, salt and pepper.
2. Microwave in the sealed bag for 5 minutes (at 800W). Remove from the bag and slice into 5mm slices and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Roast in the oven at 220˚C and roast for 15 minutes.

I went for option 2, which was very tasty however there were a few flaws in the "product" which I've fed back to Drysdale. The bag had ripped as I lifted it out of the fridge for use, I thought the bag was really way too hot to handle when removed from the microwave, and it had burst in another place when in the microwave. Also the swede was really too hot to handle for slicing and I had to hold it with some kitchen roll to keep from burning my fingers - I'm sure if it was microwaved for a shorter length of time that it would be cooked through enough to make slicing easy, reduce the possibility of burnt fingers and it would also roast well too being slightly crispier.



In hindsight perhaps using the first method would have been easier. Well we live and learn.

I thought this was a great concept and would help many busy families to prepare healthier meals and have more variety in their diets so I really hope they will be able to improve the product and soon be able to sell it to the public because swede is an under appreciated vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!