Tuesday 20 May 2008

Pasta - Breakfast Fry Up Style

Yesterday I got a call from my hubby saying he was heading out for dinner with some guys at work so I had to plan a meal for myself - usually when I'm eating alone I take the opportunity to make something that I know hubby wouldn't eat in a million years. I decided to use up some leftovers with a few fresh ingredients and make a pasta dish. While cooking I realised I had included quite a few components for a fried breakfast, plus a couple of non fried breakfast ingredients. Is it cheating to count the egg as included in the pasta?

I added a finely chopped clove of smoked garlic that that I'd received at Enjoy the Taste of Scotland from The Really Garlicky Company. It was a huge clove! But I'm not sure it really made any difference to the flavour of the recipe, I didn't think it tasted of anything on it's own, not even of garlic! So next time I make this I think I'll just use fresh garlic instead. But check out the size of that!!! (It's beside a cherry tomato in case you're thinking it was a bigger variety of tomato lol)



I'm sending this over to Ruth at Once Upon a Feast for Presto Pasta Night



Pasta - Breakfast Fry Up Style

Serves 1

Ingredients

Spaghetti (enough for 1 serving)
2 pork sausages, cut into small chunks
1/4 red pepper cut into chunks
3 medium closed cup mushrooms, sliced
2 rashers of back bacon, chopped into small pieces
2 scallion/spring onions
6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 clove of smoked garlic (but an ordinary garlic clove would be fine too)
150ml tomato sauce (1 400g tin of peeled plum tomatoes, 1 tbsp dried basil, 1tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp garlic puree. Blend everything together until smooth - this is also my new pizza sauce recipe)

Recipe
1. Place spaghetti in salted boiling water and leave to cook.
2. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and start to cook sausages.
3. 3 minutes later add the red pepper chunks.
4. 2 minutes later, add the mushrooms and bacon to the pan.
5. 3 minutes later thrown in the tomatoes and scallions.
6. 2 minutes later stir in the garlic and tomato sauce.
7. Drain the pasta, and add to the sauce stirring through.



Serve with fresh bread (or if you want to continue the breakfast theme serve with some soda bread)

13 comments:

  1. Ruth, that's a comforting bowl of pasta...tuck in on the sofa, watch some tele and munch away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could definitely get into that! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter are you spying on me? That's exactly what I did!!!!

    Hi Elle, it's a great dish to tuck into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just adore pasta and this looks very delicious!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but did the garlic taste "smokey"? Honestly who smoke garlic anyhow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rosie, I love it too.... it's just a shame that hubby doesn't :o(

    That Girl, the garlic tasted of nothing! I tried a piece on it's own afterwards and it really had no flavour, not even a garlic flavour. Quite disappointing. Mind you I like the smell of the bulb. heehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious, Ruth. I always have fish when the bloke is out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maryann.... I've had fish a few times while he's away too... but still working out what fish I like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you cleaned that drool up Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning, noon or night, this is one breakfast dish that's awesome. Thanks for sharing with Presto pasta Night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks ruth. always fun to take part in PPN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Andhra!!!! Thanks for visiting my little corner of the web!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!