Tuesday 24 June 2008

RFJ 5: Apricot and Cranberry Chicken Kiev

It's Royal Foodie Joust time again! This month the ingredients were picked by Erin (The Skinny Gourmet) and were apricot, ginger and butter. Now these just scream dessert to me but I'm trying to avoid too many desserts at the minute so the thinking cap went on for a dinner dish - I actually fell asleep one night thinking through lots of ideas and woke up knowing exactly what I was going to do! Weird huh? I don't know how exactly I decided to make an apricot and cranberry chicken kiev but I have to say it was delicious. I made it for dinner tonight and loved it! (I left out the apricot and cranberry filling for hubby though - have I mentioned that he's picky? lol). My photos don't show the filling too well unfortunately but trust me it's there.



Apricot and cranberry chicken kiev

Serves 1

Ingredients

1 skinless chicken breast

Filling
1 garlic clove
10g peeled ginger
1 rounded tsp cranberry sauce
1 tsp butter
1 peeled apricot

Coating
2 slices of white bread
10g ginger
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper

Also needed
flour
egg

Recipe
1. Blend together all the ingredients for the filling
2. Cut a pocket in the chicken breast and fill with the filling.
3. Blend together the coating ingredients
4. Roll the chicken breast in the flour, dip in the egg then roll in the coating
5. Bake in a preheated oven of 180˚C for 30 minutes then serve


11 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks so good! Great combo of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth that sound just great!! Good luck in the joust! Glad you took the savoury route too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great Ruth! I love that you went savory - apricots and chicken sound yum!
    Best of Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Elly! I really enjoyed the mix of these flavours.

    Hi Dharm. I had cranberry and apricot once before in a dessert so was keen to try it in a savoury dish.

    Hey Jenn. Thank you!!!! I love apricots in savoury dishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great dish! I actually just saw another blog with apricot and chicken today, so I guess it's fate that I try the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, it looks fabulous! I love that you went savory with the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Ruth, what a burst of flavour that would be - looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth this looks delicious! I love that you didn't make cranberry-apricot sauce and you stuffed the chicken slices instead.
    Good luck in the joust! How can I vote for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a bookmarked recipe, for sure! Good luck in the Joust!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you'll have to try it out now Deborah!

    Thanks Elle. I just felt I had to try challenge myself

    Hey Giz, this has great flavour!

    Hi lore, thank you! The poll will be posted on the Leftover Queen Forum on the 1st July for everyone to vote for their favourites. I feel so honoured that you would want to vote for me!!!

    Hey toontz! Hope you make it, Can't wait to see it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Dell!!! hope you're voting!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!