I really need to learn to read recipes better before trying to make them. I'm good at reading what ingredients I need but beyond that I'm quite hopeless. I had planned to make a cake on Sunday for youth group but when I was about to start discovered it needed a bit more prep than I had time for so I'll know for next time to start sooner. So I had to rustle up something else and came up with this idea rather quickly as I looked round to see what else I had to hand.
Lemon and Blackcurrant Cake
250g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
2 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup blackcurrant jam
1. Preheat oven to 160˚C and grease a 9" cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl
3. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time.
4. Stir in the lemon rind, lemon juice, milk and flour.
5. Spoon half the mixture into the cake tin then spread the jam over the top.
6. Cover with the rest of the cake mix and bake for 55 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.