Monday 23 February 2009

Taste and Create: Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies

It's that time again - Taste and Create time and this month I was paired with Cooking in an Apron. It was really tricky deciding which recipe to make from this blog because as I went through it I had noticed about a dozen that I'd love to try and a few I think I will after this anyways but I decided to make the caramel filled chocolate cookies mainly because I haven't made cookies in forever!

These were so fun to make and incredibly delicious to eat - especially when they're just out of the oven. Check out that just fresh from the oven gooiness.....



Then the final product with some melted white chocolate drizzled on top....



I love these and having bought way too many rolos I'll just have to make them again - or else just scoff them!

Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies
Source = Cooking in an Apron
Makes 40-48

Ingredients


2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans (I left these out)
40-48 Rolos, unwrapped (from 13-oz. pkg.)
1 Tbsp sugar(Left this out)
4 oz. vanilla-flavored candy coating, if desired I used melted white chocolate


Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F/190˚C
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.
3. In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. (Stir in 1/2 cup of the pecans.) If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
4. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 caramel candy, covering completely.
(5. In small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup pecans and 1 tablespoon sugar. Press one side of each ball into pecan mixture. Place, nut side up, 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.)
6. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled.
7. Melt candy coating in small bowl in microwave, stirring constantly until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.

8 comments:

  1. Ruth these look and sound amazing. I love the inner chocolate gooeyness of the cookie!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met a chocolate cookie I didn't like and I think I want to meet those!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth those cookies look great. My wife would kill for them. I'm sending her this link right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a coffee shop in Oxford, Ohio a few years ago and the owner made a cookie just like that except that she filled it with Raspberry jam and she topped it with drizzled chocolate frosting. They were just fantastic. The combination of the chocolate and raspberry jam (she also put a touch of framboise in the jam) was a match made in heaven. I will have to use your recipe and see if I can match what she did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dream come true for me in cookie form!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow.. these cookies gotta be dangerous with the caramel and chocolate..heaven..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heavens! These have me drooling... YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!