Tuesday 31 March 2009

Taste and Create: Rainbow Cake

It's Taste and Create time again. This month I was paired up with Tara from Eat, Be and See who is a woman after my own heart being a Harry Potter Fan and by having this cake on her blog that I have made for this month.

Rainbow Cake!!!! Check out Tara's (on her funky Harry Potter plate -


How could you not be excited by that?

So the recipe calls for a box of cake mix. I haven't used cake mix in ages and ages so I'm in the shop trying to figure out what might be best and I forget that plan when I spot that the Barbie cupcake mix includes pink frosting and a strawberry decorating tube so just have to buy that!!!!! It makes 12 small cupcakes worth of batter but that's fine because it'll only be me eating this cake anyways.

I loved this challenge, the smells of the cake mix reminded me of birthday parties when I was little and the white icing mix turning pink entertained me

Rainbow Cake
Source: Eat, Be and See

Ingredients

1 box of Green's Barbie cupcake mix
A mix of food colourings

Recipe
1. Make up cake mix according to packet instructions and split into 6.
2. Mix in the colourings to the 6 cake mixes.



3. Pour the batter into the centre of your greased cake tin one colour at a time.



4. Bake according to packet instructions - however mine had to bake a little longer because I obviously didn't make the Barbie cupcakes.



A slightly thin cake but good seeing as only I will be eating it.

5. Make icing according to packet instructions.



6. Decorate cake.



7. Slice in and taste the rainbow.

11 comments:

  1. The colors are so vivid! My son would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he would Maggie - I sure am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ruth that looks great! Definitely giving this one a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Donal, hope you have as much fun making and eating this as I have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!

    I did something similar with red and yellow colouring for two halves of a Victoria-style sponge... with stewed rhubarb and custard filling. This is the next level though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do love these colorful cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth you rock! I am so glad you decided to do the cake, it was super fun to make and it makes me all happy inside knowing you enjoyed it!

    Im posting yours as I type!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jess, sounds really good!!!!!

    Thanks That Girl!

    Hi Tara, thanks for having this cake posted, it really does put a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this colourful cake!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh ruth I just adore this cake it really is so pretty with all those colours!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!