Monday 6 April 2009

Marmalade cake

About a month ago I was away for the weekend with the youth group. Heading out my car was loaded with food, most of which was devoured, but often there's things left over like some biscuits, milk, bread, crisps, cereals and marmalade. We end up dividing the leftovers among the group because there's no way I could use it all up on my own. When it came to sharing it out this time though nobody wanted the marmalade!!!!! What's wrong with marmalade? So I took it and decided to make a marmalade cake for them as well as enjoying it on some lovely golden toast.

I hunted through all my bookmarks and remembered the lovely Rosie blogged on her old blog about Marmalade Cake. (You can catch Rosie over on Baking Cakes Galore now). How could I resist?

I made mine in 2 victoria sandwich tins and put them one on top of the other with about 2-3 tbsp marmalade in between then topped off with the icing (which turned out a little too orange when I added too much red colouring the the yellow).



Marmalade Cake

Ingredients

Cake
175g (6 oz) self-raising flour, sifted
175g (6 oz) softened butter
175g (6 oz) soft brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Grated zest of 1 orange
Juice ½ orange
2 tbsp thin-cut marmalade
Icing
200g (7 oz) icing sugar, sifted
Juice of 1 orange
Orange edible food colouring (optional)
A few sprinkles (optional)

Recipe
1. Grease two victoria sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add a little of the egg at a time until it's all mixed through. Then mix in the marmalade, OJ and zest.
4. Fold in the sifted flour gently folding.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins and level the surface off.
6. Place into the preheated oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the tin before removing to cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the icing; add the sifted icing sugar a little edible orange food colour (optional), and enough orange juice to make a spreadable icing for coating the top of the cake. Spread over the top of the cake and add sprinkles if using.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake Ruth. I remember seeing it at Rosie's. It's lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Marmalade and this cake looks like my kind of cake!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cake Ruth I adore the orange icing!! Thank you SO much for the mention how sweet of you :0)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deeba. It tasted great too

    Thank you Maria - how could you not want a slice?

    It's bright eh? Thank you That Girl

    Thanks for a great recipe Rosie!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!