Wednesday 17 February 2010

Polo Shaped Rolo Cake



I love going through my rss reader and coming across a new recipe that makes me want to go make it immediately - this cake was one of them. Scottish food blogger, Jacqueline, of Tinned tomatoes fame posted this recipe for rolo cake topped with gooey snowballs who found it on The Caked Crusader's blog. I knew I had all the ingredients in my kitchen so it seemed to be my destiny to make this one.

I had recently bought a new bundt tin and decided immediately to use it for this one thus resulting in polo shaped rolo cake! Really tasty cake with the occasional surprise of crispy chewy caramel throughout. This is one you should bookmark and try out.



Rolo Cake

Ingredients

Cake:
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 ½ cup self raising flour
2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
100g Rolos, halved
Buttercream:
1 cup icing sugar
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Grease a deep 20cm diameter bundt tin.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then mix in the eggs one at a time.
4. Gently stir in the flour and cocoa, before stirring in the chopped rolos.
5. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. The cake will settle on cooling but this is because it’s so rich and squidgy.
6. Leave to cool in the tin, on a wire rack.

Buttercream Frosting
1. When cool make the buttercream by creaming the butter until soft and smooth, then cream in the icing sugar a little at a time.
2. Beat in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
3. If the mix is a bit solid, add a dash of milk to soften and slacken.
4. Spread over the cake and decorate as required .


For another fun recipe using rolos check out these caramel filled chocolate cookies

4 comments:

  1. This would make a great birthday cake for any child or adult. I'm book-marking this one!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great Ruth! I would buy a bundt tin, to make the cake this shape, it's fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Maria! I'll have to remember this myself for birthdays!

    Jacqueline - I got mine recently in Lidl for £6 and I'm well impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand how you can just happen to have a packet of Rolos in your kitchen and can make the cake from ingredients to hand - Rolos HAVE to been eaten immediately, preferably in a room away from everybody else!!!!!
    PS, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!