Thursday 27 December 2007

Ginger Glazed Gammon

I had watched Nigella Lawson's Christmas show, "Season's Eatings", and was drooling as I watched her making this ham. However I was worried about this recipe slightly as she had used a 5.4kg ham and I was planning to only cook a 0.75kg gammon, so fixing the times and scaling down the ingredients took some calculation and guesstimation and creativity. And it all turned out beautifully!

Ginger glazed gammon


Serves 2-3

Ingredients

750g gammon
1 litre ginger ale (I used light ginger ale, can never be too careful with the calories at Christmas!)
Marinade
1/4 cup marmalade (65ml)
1 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp whole grain mustard
2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
a pinch of ground cloves

Recipe
1. Place the gammon in a pot and pour in the ginger ale (you can top up with water to cover the gammon). Bring to the boil, then reduce heat so it will bubble gently for 1-1.5 hrs.
2. In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade (this can be done the day before).
3. Remove the gammon from the ginger ale and place in a foil lined baking tray or in an oven dish. Cover in the marinade and place in the oven at 190C for about 20-25 minutes.
4. Serve hot or cold.

I've had some in a sandwich already, just gorgeous!

PS if you're looking for the difference between ham and gammon, check here

2 comments:

  1. hahaha... when i read your post above, i wasn't sure what gammon was! my first guess was ham but i really had no idea LOL

    the ginger glaze sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MrsPresley!

    I remember the first time I had gammon when I was about 10, I fell in love with it and my mum made me a gammon every Christmas so it was very special for me to have made this to keep up the tradition.

    As for the difference between gammon and ham, I actually didn't know until recently either!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!