Friday 4 January 2008

Onion Potato Bhajis

One of my favourite cookery bloggers who I've copied before is Jeena. I recently spotted her Onion Bhaji Recipe where they are cooked in the oven not deep fried. I'm not fond of deep frying and we don't have a deep fryer anyway so this sounded perfect. The only problem was that my darling dearest hubby is "allergic" to vegetables other than potatoes and peas so I made these with shredded potato instead and maybe sometime I'll make them using onion for just me. I also reduced the recipe that Jeena has by half.

Onion Potato Bhajis

Makes 4

Ingredients

2 medium potatoes
2.5 Tbsp Buckwheat Flour (I forgot to get this when I was out today and used plain flour instead
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
Olive Oil
Large 1/2 tsp Tomato Puree
3/4 Shot Glass Measure Water (a small egg cup can be used to measure)

Spices for the Pan
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
1/8 tsp Cumin Powder
1/8 tsp Ginger Powder
1/8 Chilli Powder

Recipe
1. Peel and shred your potatoes coarsely.
2. Drizzle a little oil into a large pan/wok and gently cook your potato until it starts to crispen up and loose some of the moisture. Do not brown them or over cook them. This should take no longer than 5-6 minutes. Keep stiring them so they don't over cook.
3. When the potato is ready sprinkle in your chilli powder and mix well. Then straight after add your turmeric, cumin, ginger and coriander, stir well again then switch off the heat.
4. In a bowl place (buckwheat) flour, salt, coriander and cumin. Mix them together well.
5. Now place your onions into your bowl and mix well again.
6. Once your flour mixture has coated all of your onions 3/4 fill your shot glass/egg cup with water and add the tomato puree Mix your puree in with the water then pour into your onion mixture. Stir very well. (You want your mixture to be wet and easy to stir but not watery or too sloppy in texture. If you added too much water add a few pinches of flour till you get the right consistency. If your mixture is a little too thick and dry add a little drop of water at a time till it loosens up. Try to keep to the measurements of the recipe as closely as possible.
7. Drizzle some oil onto a baking tray. Place a tablespoon of your onion mixture onto your oven tray per onion bhaji, flatten a little with the back of your spoon. Place into a pre-heated oven at 180C for 10 minutes.

8.After 10 minutes take your onion bhaji's out of the oven. Drizzle a little oil over the tops of your bhaji's. Place back in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. For the full deep fried effect of your onion bhajis you must drizzle on the oil half way through.
9. When your onion bhaji's are golden brown they are ready. Take out of the oven and remove straight from the tray to your plate.

Thanks again Jeena!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth thankyou for cooking another one of my recipes. :-) I'm glad you liked it, I actually have a potato bhaji recipe coming up soon.

    They look great I feel really hungry and fancy some bhajis. :D
    I think you will love the onion ones sometime but I'm glad your hubby likes the potato ones. It is so lovely to know other people enjoy my recipes as much as we do. :-)

    Thanks again Ruthe.

    Jeena x

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way have a I already said how fantastic they look? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely be trying the onions soon. These were just amazing!

    And maybe I'll remember to get the buckwheat for next time too! lol

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!