Friday 4 January 2008

Jamie's Mince Pies

Jamie Oliver did a great Christmas special a few days before Christmas and made some mince pies with a difference. Despite having already made some mince pies I was tempted to try these. They are so incredibly easy they get a 1/5 Difficulty rating and are so incredibly delicious.

Jamie Oliver's Mince Pies with a Twist


Makes 12

Ingredients

A packet of pre made filo pastry
A packet of pre made puff pastry (about 500g)
1 jar of mincemeat
Chopped Chestnuts (roasted or boiled) (I omitted)
Zest of 1/2 an orange
Dried Cranberries(I omitted)
5 or 6 dried apricots, finely chopped (I added)
Some mixed spice (I added)
Icing sugar (I omitted)
Melted Butter

Recipe
1. Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface until it is about 3 mm thick and about 12" by 12"
2. Paste a thin-to-medium layer of mincemeat on the puff pastry sheet. Add the (cranberries, chopped up chestnuts,) dried apricots and orange zest.

3. Roll up the pastry into a roll, slice a cm off each end of the roll and cut the rest into slices about 2 cm wide. Place your sliced puff pastry mincemeat slices to one side.

4. Take 4-6 sheets of filo pastry and brush them with melted butter. Lie the pastry over your bun tray, butter side down, covering the whole tray.
5. With any left over puff pastry, mould the filo pastry into the shape of the bun tray.
6. Into each bun case place one of the puff pastry roll slices. Butter around the edges of the filo pastry.

7. Add to an oven at 180˚C for 20-25 minutes.
8. Remove and allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar and a little mixed spice.

9. To separate the pies, you just snap them off.

Absolutely delicious! Thanks Jamie.

4 comments:

  1. Well done! I would like to try them too. However I noticed from your first picture that after you cooked them you removed the filo pastry. What Jamie did was to remove the edges. You seemed to remove almost all of it. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No a lot of it fell off from the edges however it remained around the base of the pies and held it all together.

    I hope you give them a go, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. This is great. Thanks for putting it up here for us all to try. I believe Jamie sprinkled almond flakes over the finished product ...and perhaps cranberries (not too sure about that one).

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa

    Yes there were cranberries (I've mentioned them in the recipe) but I didn't include them in my own.

    Can't remember the almonds but that would be a great touch!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!