In the past I've been so lazy when it comes to bolognese and just used a jar (except this time) despite knowing how to make it. Well I finally decided to take the time and make it from scratch, despite it being a busy night for me.
Anyways, it's such a basic thing really but I may as well share how I made it:
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 slices of back bacon, cut into strips
400g mince (usually I use beef, but decided to use turkey this time)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup of red wine
1 tsp freshly chopped basil
Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a pot on a medium heat then add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the back bacon and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Add in the mince and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring.
4. Stir in the passata, tomato puree, basil, oregano, worcestershire sauce, bay leaves and red wine. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove the bay leaves and serve with pasta (or if you're anything like my husband, mashed potato!) and ciabatta and top with the parmesan and basil.
I love a bit of veg in my bolognese, however carnivore hubby doesn't so I stir fried some mushroom and red pepper and added it to mine.