Friday 9 May 2008

Blackened Chicken

I've been saying for the past few weeks that my next bookmarked recipe submission would not be from my Easy Food Magazine and this week it isn't!!!! Rob was having a steak tonight so I planned to do one of my bookmarked chicken recipes for myself. I had a quick look through the links I've had saved and decided on blackened chicken by Erin at Erin's Eats that she had found on Allrecipes. It was fantastically easy and quick to throw together and leave to bake allowing me to get on with some other quick chores before serving dinner. It was also really tasty, I'm sure I'll be making this again.

Had a minor catastrophe though - I had started to sauté the mushrooms to go with this in some butter and oil while Rob started frying his steak, then he turned up the heat on what he thought was his steak but turned out to be my mushrooms so they've turned out blacker than the chicken.



Blackened Chicken

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded thin)
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used chili powder because I had no cayenne)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder (I left this out because I had none)

Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 170˚C. Line a small baking dish with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Once combined, rub the spice mixture on both sides of the chicken. Place the chicken in the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-30 mins, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear.

11 comments:

  1. I used to make blackened chicken at my last job, customers loved it. I'm a huge fan of blackening anything. I tried it with halloumi cheese, it was super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love balckened chicken. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chef Erik! Welcome to my little corner of the web! I'd never "blackened" anything before yesterday so I'm sure I'll be doing it with all sorts of things now!

    Hi Katie, I love it now too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good Ruth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great weeknight meal, Ruth. As for onion powder...grate some fresh onion and marinate the meat. This will impart some onion flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth,

    Sometimes we mess up in the kitchen, and that's just the way it goes. I understand your frustration in blackening the mushrooms and confusing the burners...I hate when that happens. Tonight I tried making black bean cakes which turned out to be a slight disaster! But it's all part of the experiences, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth,

    You can save mushrooms...to a point. I have been there, believe me.

    I blacken salmon, grouper, chicken, shrimp... My wife loves spicy blackened anything. Maybe that's why she married me? :-)

    I am of Creole descent and so I think I have a propensity for blackened food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Maryann!

    Thanks for the tip Peter, I'll have to remember that one.

    Hi Sarah, the mushrooms worked out fine, just blacker than the chicken! lol But you're right we learn from our mistakes more.

    Hey Mr Orph, the mushrooms were fairly rescuable and still tasted good. I'll really have to try blackening more things!

    Hi Dell, You should, this was very easy and tasty... also a great dish to put together during a busy weeknight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruth, I have never made blackened chicken but I sure will be doing so now as it looks SO delicious!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Rosie, it's very tasty! also very quick and easy to put together. Hope you like it!

    Hi Deborah! It's very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!