This week for my bookmarked recipes event I've been brave and made a savoury pie for the first time ever. I've made apple pie and rhubarb pie but today I made a chicken and bacon pie. I took a recipe from a food magazine I love, Easy Food, which was originally chicken and ham but knew that my dear hubby Rob hates ham so I used some cooked bacon instead.
Chicken and Bacon Pie
200g ready-made frozen shortcrust pastry (thawed) (I used 2 ready made round shortcrust pastry portions)
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
500g cooked chicken breast, cubed
3 bacon rashers, cooked and diced
1 onion, diced
1.5 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
milk, for glazing
70ml single cream (light cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line your pie dish with half of the pastry
2. Put the pepper, flour, nutemeg and chicken in a ziplock bag and shake until the ingredients are well combined.
3. Layer half the onion in the pie dish, top with half the chicken, then half the ham, then the rest of the onion, then the chicken and ham.
4. Pour the melted butter over the top, then pour in the chicken stock and top the pie with the rest of the pastry.
5. Cut 3 deep slits in the top of the pie (to allow steam to release during cooking and allows access for cream to be added later).
6. Brush some milk over the top to glaze the pie.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes. Pour the cream into the pie through the slits (I found this a bit tricky and fiddly). Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.