Monday 18 August 2008

Chicken and Bacon Pie

This week for my bookmarked recipes event I've been brave and made a savoury pie for the first time ever. I've made apple pie and rhubarb pie but today I made a chicken and bacon pie. I took a recipe from a food magazine I love, Easy Food, which was originally chicken and ham but knew that my dear hubby Rob hates ham so I used some cooked bacon instead.




Chicken and Bacon Pie

Serves 4

Ingredients

200g ready-made frozen shortcrust pastry (thawed) (I used 2 ready made round shortcrust pastry portions)
pepper
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
500g cooked chicken breast, cubed
3 bacon rashers, cooked and diced
1 onion, diced
1.5 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
milk, for glazing
70ml single cream (light cream)

Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line your pie dish with half of the pastry
2. Put the pepper, flour, nutemeg and chicken in a ziplock bag and shake until the ingredients are well combined.
3. Layer half the onion in the pie dish, top with half the chicken, then half the ham, then the rest of the onion, then the chicken and ham.
4. Pour the melted butter over the top, then pour in the chicken stock and top the pie with the rest of the pastry.
5. Cut 3 deep slits in the top of the pie (to allow steam to release during cooking and allows access for cream to be added later).
6. Brush some milk over the top to glaze the pie.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes. Pour the cream into the pie through the slits (I found this a bit tricky and fiddly). Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.


10 comments:

  1. Your pie looks wonderful!! That top crust my gosh, perfection!! Sounds soo good right about now, I have to learn to browse the round ups when I have eaten, I am even more hungry ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm this looks soooooo good! Subbing bacon for the ham can only make it 10x better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Ruth this looks ridiculously delicious and ridiculously bad for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks really really tasty! Everything is better with bacon...EVERYthing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your savory pie looks good! Definitely comfort food, and with bacon ... oh yeah, comfort food all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetdesigns, thank you!!! It was definitely a welcome dish at our table!

    So true Elly!!!

    You're right That Girl - so good yet so bad!

    Hey Mr Orph, so true.... now if only we could convince a certain you know who!

    Thanks Paula, i love pie for dinner, really is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby would love this one too! Sounds delicious! Theres no better combo than chicken and bacon if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth this pie looks delicious and my kind of comfort food!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Dell, I know you're a bad one for having bacon!

    Hey Beth, chicken and bacon is a great combination!

    Hi Deborah, it's an absolutely delicious dish

    Thanks Maria, pie is definitely comforting!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!