Friday 2 January 2009

Turkey Fricassée

Early September I got an email asking if I would like a "review copy" of a cook book put together by the Cooks Academy in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland. Of course my answer was yes!!!! The book arrived in the post the day before we went to Egypt and was forgotten about until a couple of weeks ago (oops!!!!). So here I am blogging about it now.

I liked the idea of this book because it's a collection of recipes that Academy uses in their teaching that have proven to be popular with the students. It's also full of down to earth every day recipes and a lot of the great basic recipes like mac and cheese, lasagne and the one I'm blogging about here - turkey fricassée. However my only complaint about the book is the lack of photos: I always like seeing a photo of each recipe as part of the temptation to making it and also to know what it should look like instead of my attempt!

With so much surplus turkey over Christmas I couldn't help but make this a few days afterwards to use some more up. The only thing I did differently was to leave out the mushrooms for fear that the hubster would be poisoned.

Since I've still not found my camera I had to take pictures with the phone! If only I'd lost it before Christmas and could have asked for a new one as a gift from someone. Ah well - maybe I'll find one in the sales.



Turkey Fricassée
From Cooks Academy Cookbook by Vanessa Greenwood
Serves 4

Ingredients

600g cooked turkey
3tbsp olive oil
(250g button mushrooms, sliced)
3 smoked rashers of bacon, cut into small squares
1 medium onion, diced
200ml white wine
250ml chicken stock
25g butter
1 tbsp flour
400ml milk

Recipe
1. Prepare the white sauce by melting the butter in a small saucepan then stirring in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes then gradually add the stirring to avoid lumps. When the sauce thickens and bubbles remove from the heat.
2. Heat half the oil in a pan and sauté the bacon (and mushrooms) for 5 minutes, remove to a plate.
3. Heat the rest of the oil in the pan and sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the wine and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the turkey, bacon, (mushrooms,) stock and white sauce. Season and simmer on a low heat for 20-25 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I reviewed this book too - it's really fab isn't it? I'm a bit fan of the Howth sandwich :)

    Happy new year, BTW. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the photos, I love cookbooks with a photo of each recipe, it's pretty much why I buy a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Ruth's Kitchen Experiments! I would love to hear your comments and feedback!

But if you're going to be posting spam or something else that's completely unrelated or unnecessary it will be deleted

Thank you!