In January I made a little "vow" to make at least 3 recipes a month from the food magazines I have bought that month. Well February's mags weren't too great for me so I ended up making some recipes I have bookmarked in cookbooks instead and this is one of them - Whole Orange Cake.
Really simple to make and very tasty - especially seeing as it was topped off with chocolate ganache.
Whole Orange Cake
Source: Simply Essentials: Fruit by Donna Hay
1.5 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
1.5 cups plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 160˚C
2. Wash oranges and place in saucepan of water on a medium heat. Bring the water to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Leave for 30 minutes or until soft.
3. Take the oranges out of the water and leave to cool a little. Chop coarsely.
4. Process the oranges in a food processor until finely chopped.
5. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, ground almond, flour and baking powder and process until smooth and mixed through.
6. Pour into a greased 9" cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.
3/4 cups single cream
100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
70g milk chocolate, finely chopped
1. Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate.
3. Leae to melt slightly and then stir until the mixture is glossy and smooth.