I love brownies... who doesn't? But I have to confess, until recently I had never made brownies before! Well I have but but they were flourless and so not really proper brownies.
I had to do something about this.... after all I love brownies as do most people! I recently bought The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and got stuck into making their "traditional brownies" and I'm so glad I did, or am I? This is my new favourite recipe and so I make them all the time! My waistline isn't going to thank me but I know my lips do every time.
These are so simple to make and extremely moreish.
Hummingbird Traditional Brownies (with a Ruthie twist)
Makes 12 big brownies or 24 little bite sized brownies
200g dark chocolate (or I sometimes use milk chocolate and add other flavours like orange, coconut, raisins, strawberry etc)
175g unsalted butter
310g caster sugar
125g plain flour
1. Preheat oven to 170˚C
2. Melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
3. Take the bowl off the heat and stir in the sugar.
4. Mix in the flour (and any additional flavourings)
5. Stir in the eggs one at a time until well blended into the mix.
6. Pour the mix into a greased and lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes (or until slightly crisp on the outside but soft in the middle).
It's a fool proof recipe and one everyone I've shared these with have enjoyed!