It's been a while since I've made something from my Mum's cook book and on Saturday I really wanted to bake something. So I got Mum's book out and opened at the recipe for victoria sandwich, had all the ingredients to hand and it looked like a quick cake to put together so I had to make it, right?
I made a few changes to Mum's recipe and added vanilla to the mix seeing as I have lots of vanilla pods to use up! And also baked the batter in one tin instead of 2, then sliced it in half, spread raspberry jam in the middle and sandwiched it together again. I also found halfway through baking that I needed to turn the temperature down in the oven as the outside was a lovely golden brown while the middle was still gooey. The resulting cake was quite dark on the top but nothing a little icing sugar won't hide ;-)
I took the cake to my youth group for testing and they loved it..... mind you they love pretty much anything edible!
Anyways enough of my ramblings, here's the recipe:
Mum's Victoria Sandwich
6 oz softened margarine
6 oz caster sugar
6 oz self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
Seeds from 1 vanilla pod (my addition to the recipe)
3 large eggs
2-3 tbsp raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C (I had to reduce this to 165˚C to prevent the cake from being burnt). Grease a 6-7" cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. Combine the margarine, sugar, flour, baking powder and vanilla seeds and mix well with a hand mixer.
3. Mix in the eggs one at a time.
4. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
5. Remove cake from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cake from tin and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Slice the cake across the middle to create 2 layers. Spread the jam on the bottom layer of the cake then replace the top of the cake. Dust with icing sugar then serve.
Nilmandra from Soy and Pepper tagged me a while ago for the 6-word meme which I had forgotten about until now! (Sorry Nilmandra) I've done this meme twice already here and here, but I'll give it another go, but I'll not nominate people for it.
I've also been awarded a "You make my day" award from Dell of Cooking and the City which totally made my day. Last time I received this award I passed it on to 12 people and this time I'm awarding it to everyone to comes along to visit my little corner of the web because you really do make my day and make writing this blog even more worthwhile! Thank you!
Finally lovely sweet Maria of The Goddess's Kitchen has given me an "I love you this much" award. Thank you Maria! You made me blush!
So now I get the honour of passing it on to a few people too! I really truly love all the blog that I read but I wanted to mention a couple of people.
1. Sio at Cake Creations
2. Priscilla at Priscilla bakes
3. Pixie at You say tomahto I say tomayto
4. Miss.Sarah at Geeky pants